Monday, August 02, 2010

Fenced Sunflowers


This past Sunday morning I was visited by some young artists from Camp Susquehannock. They drew in charcoal and I worked at the bottom of the garden on this pastel painting. For those of you not living in white-tail deer country, we must fence the deer out of our gardens especially when we grow sunflowers - a gourmet item on the deer menu! This is a 16 x 20; rather large for me to complete in one sitting en plein air. I had to finish it up this morning in the garden. The light was coming from the same direction, but it was much stronger this morning. A newly hatched family of tufted titmouses (titmice?) were practicing their whistles & cheeps in the branches over my head.

Michael Poster, my husband took some photos of the kids and made a slideshow with music by Booker T & the MG's. http://www.backroadsproject.com/kids_draw/

3 comments:

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

I just love this! Your depth, greens and marks that you make are just right!

Pamela said...

This painting really caught my eye. The colors of the foreground and background contrast to show off those wonderful sunflowers. Flowers were created for the creative beings on this earth!
And those young creators face in the slideshow were having a great time in your gardens.

Marsha Hamby Savage said...

Love the painting and the comments you made along with it. I also live in deer country and they love pansies too! Mine were all gone one day when I came home. Thought children had done it when I realized there were no "leavings", just completely gone down to the ground.

Popular Posts