Thursday, January 06, 2011

Transitions


For the last few months my husband and I have been traveling back and forth between southern Vermont and our home of 35 years in Pennsylvania. We bought a house with 5 acres on Black Mountain near Brattleboro and are preparing to move there full time this summer. The frequent 5 hour trips back and forth, although providing a great chance for landscape viewing, often leave me feeling disoriented.

I think I'm going to go with the flow and make some paintings of two similar landscapes that may blend together in unknown ways. I'll be working on 12 x 16 boards with a plein air easel in VT and a new studio easel here in PA. The location of these pieces will be nebulous; somewhere between southern VT and northeastern PA; someplace between plein air & studio work. But the size and subject and medium will give me a sorely needed continuity right now. I may not know what clothes are in which closet in which state, but I'll be able to find my winter north woods color palette.

This is the first of the transitional pictures, as well as being the first painting of the year for me.

Transition #1 12 x 16 pastel

2 comments:

Zoe said...

That is a beautiful painting, and with it a beautiful idea - to paint two places as they meld in your mind and heart. Can't wait to see what comes out of it.

Phyl said...

Moving is a challenge! We have nearly everything out of our house on Shady Lane--finishing tomorrow. Now to get all of those boxes emptied and get this house in order! Hoping to schedule a Spring Paintout here and hope you'll be able to come. Phyllis

Popular Posts