Saturday, May 07, 2011

Cinco de Mayo



Trying to ignore my chores, I set up my easel in the garden just before 10 am because it was a warm, clear day and we haven't had many of those here in the Northeast this spring. I wanted to capture some of the soft colors and a feeling of the garden bloom beginning it's seasonal progression. I was pretty sure the dandelions would still need weeding later as would the latest closet cleaning in the studio.

In this picture the lead role is taken by the aptly named Star Magnolia, a sweetly fragrant bush we love to sit near. The supporting cast is a diverse lot of conifers, hardwoods and two apple trees with an adorable guest appearance by the little coral species tulips.


About 10:15 the wind kicked up and my board threatened to take the whole easel for a sail across the garden. My trusty stone bag saved the day and I've included a photo of this fold away piece of indispensable gear I carry in the bottom of my backpack. Stones can be found in most places I paint, but in their absence I've scooped up hands full of sand or purchased a gallon of water. Whatever you use for ballast will stabilize your easel in a surprisingly stiff wind. It lowers the center of gravity, there by making painting actually possible.

Later when I did get around to cleaning out some drawers in the studio storeroom I found a brand new spare stone bag! I didn't even know I had two! That one will be included in my upcoming BIG STUDIO MOVING SALE May 27, 28, 29 & 30 along with an array of prints, paintings, art supplies and other unique items useful...or at least interesting...to artists and collectors. There will be deals, trust me.

No comments:

Popular Posts